Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
As far as I recall, Mac OS was initially proprietary project where Steve Jobs along with some other guys participated. Later, they've based Mac OS X on some portions of BSD in their NeXTSTEP, but correct me if I'm wrong, it still remains proprietary, isn't it?
you are right, mac os x is a closed system. but many hackers use freebsd/linux drivers to allow hackintosh to run on any non-apple computer, mainly if one has amd processors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower View Post
"Why" is a much more complex issue. OEM distribution sure helps, but I bet there are historical reasons also. As a counter example, Asus tried to push Linux-based OS on their budget Eee PC line of netbooks, but many people formatted and reinstalled Windows there; now the entire Eee PC line uses mostly either Windows on Intel's platform and Android on ultra-portable line.
"why" windows still is the king of the hill? 'cause the inmense software base, think about, if a designer can run photoshop on linux natively, he will switch out of doubts, same happens for any other kind of software, another reason many people didn't switch is because nothing can compete with microsoft office, even if you can use wine. linux, unfortunately has been related to geeks or rocket scientists and it is not windows. the ubuntu distro has made a good job on making linux easier for humans, but still not enough.