Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Increasing traffic on PGD...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sorry, I answered to the post and hit accidently the back button of my browser so everything is lost. Anyway, I wrote that I am not a studied man but a simple hobby programmer. I can hardly find Freepascal ressources for game development in the net but Delphi and Delphi everywhere. So, maybe one can empathize my fear that this place will be pure Delphi eventually.
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    Sorry, I answered to the post and hit accidently the back button of my browser so everything is lost. Anyway, I wrote that I am not a studied man but a simple hobby programmer. I can hardly find Freepascal ressources for game development in the net but Delphi and Delphi everywhere. So, maybe one can empathize my fear that this place will be pure Delphi eventually.
    It seems that Delphi is quite popular in Germany but since my German is werry bad I have no use of those. So I myself am facing similar problem of having dificulties to find necessary game development articles for Delphi.

Blog Entries
    Well I can assure everyone that PGD will not become a support group purely for any one singular IDE, compiler or platform. In fact I believe that the increased development towards new platforms might be what's been making core Delphi developers think otherwise. There seems to be this odd conception amoung Pascal developers that you have to choose either one of the tools or the other. I'd use Delphi on my Mac if there was a native version. Maybe it will come, maybe not, but until then I use Lazarus.

My support goes to the language. And other dialects of the language.

There has been a lot of Delphi relevant topics posted in the News section, but not as much news as I'd like being posted there. Part of that is because I've been away and busy doing my real job which supports my family and unable to spend the time I'd love in finding new and cool things going on with ALL Pascal game developers. This is where I really need your help.

Since we have been airing fears; I kind of fear that the PGD News section/RSS isn't as popular as it should be. Not sure who here reads from RSS syndication feeds or subscribes to DelphiFeeds.com. I've put PGD up for inclusion to these feeds, but it seems we didn't get enough votes. Should enough people sign up and have us added, that might finally put us on there.

The only time that we do make it on there is when someone like Eric Grange or Jon Lennart Aasenden mentions something we've posted. I think our RSS feed for news is very valid, but noone else has spoken up about it. Here is the thread http://delphifeeds.uservoice.com/for...-com-news-rss- Apparently 3 votes won't do it. So who here actually wants PGD on DelphiFeeds or thinks we should be on there?

Go here and vote about it please! http://delphifeeds.uservoice.com/forums/14264-feedback
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    BTW, I've slimmed down the Forums a bit. I don't know if I want to merge all the development tools together much like I don't want to merge all the library-specific forums either. Sure it would make it seem even smaller, but there is a reason we made each forum for all of them. Maybe moving discontinued ones to an archive of some kind instead.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Here is the thread http://delphifeeds.uservoice.com/for...-com-news-rss- Apparently 3 votes won't do it.
    "Idea has been closed"...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    "Idea has been closed"...
    I new idea can be opened. Just post here and elsewhere about it so we can get it noticed and change the number of votes. I don't think it was properly announced last time. Maybe with Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and PGD all behind it we can get the votes up to make it happen.

I mean with some of the sites that are on DelphiFeeds.com I wonder why on earth we are not on it??

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
    Let's face it while Delphi About does contain a great deal of knoledge it is poorly organized wich makes it hard to find exacly what you need.
    Yeah Delphi About is a glorified blog, not a community by design. I do appreciate Mr. Žarko Gajić's efforts to talk about and discuss Delphi/Object Pascal related things, a lot of the information posted there is a little dated and misinforming these days. I'm not sure if there is much posted that is really new, is there? I don't follow it because there is nothing really that PGD can draw from as current or new information.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Yeah Delphi About is a glorified blog, not a community by design. I do appreciate Mr. Žarko Gajić's efforts to talk about and discuss Delphi/Object Pascal related things, a lot of the information posted there is a little dated and misinforming these days. I'm not sure if there is much posted that is really new, is there? I don't follow it because there is nothing really that PGD can draw from as current or new information.
    Yes most of the articles on Delphi About are a bit outdatet. The reason for this is that most pepole who folows Delphi About still use Delphi 7 or even older versions. And even till recenty (about 2 years ago) Žarko was also still using Delphi 7 for programing. Žarko did publish some articles about the new fetures of newer versions of Delphi but unfortunatly there wasn't much interest in those from the comunity.

Anywhay I contacted Žarko yesterday asking hiim if he might be kind enough to advertize our site a litle (write and article about us) so that we might get some of the members from his comunity wich are interested in game development to join us. Till now I still haven't got any reply back from him.

Since we have been airing fears; I kind of fear that the PGD News section/RSS isn't as popular as it should be. Not sure who here reads from RSS syndication feeds or subscribes to DelphiFeeds.com. I've put PGD up for inclusion to these feeds, but it seems we didn't get enough votes. Should enough people sign up and have us added, that might finally put us on there.
    Honestly, I've never used PGD's syndication system or any other syndication system for that matter except for what I added to my Blackberry, but even that one I rarely read. For some reason I always preferred to interact with the forums and news sites directly. Maybe you should open a poll about this?

I myself don't use RSS news on any site. When I'm interested in news from certain area I wisitn and browse trough respected sites and forums.

So who here actually wants PGD on DelphiFeeds or thinks we should be on there?
    I was surprised it wasn't, maybe when it was submitted there weren't enough things in the RSS? or they had some issue accessing the RSS?

I wasn't aware it was submitted and there was a vote, maybe submit it anew and have us notified so we can vote!

Also, you may want to expose it through feedburner: the RSS can be requested quite often as it's a polled protocol. Using feedburner will redirect the load onto google's servers rather than PGD's. At least for my site, before moving it to feedburner, at some point it was the #1 source of bandwidth consumption.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast