Thread: About the goal of this engine

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for your detailed opinion code_glitch!

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Carver does have a point and from the site, I can't find any documentation which places it at a disadvantage to other engines, it has no established developer-base and community around its development and use in the field (which means you get the authors perspective and that's it).
    There was documentation before. The wiki I had got attacked by spammers, and since no one was really using it, I removed it.
    About use in the field, this engine was used for at least two big commercial 3d projects, one which is a 3d mmorpg for Steam, which I think that shows that the engine is capable for serious work.
    About having a user-base/comunity, well, this one has not even started, it also has not a single user too.
    And I say that people did not contact me, but well, some did, 2 or 3, but of course, the percentage of people that start a game vs the ones that really go through it with it is small :/

Also, in the 8 years since it's been written a lot has likely changed in the world of code - new APIs are here, new hardware and new mindsets.
    8 years in the making does not mean that the engine is outdated, as I said in the first post it is still being worked on.
    It makes use of all latest APIs, compilers, hardware etc. The only thing I don't really make use of its new additions to the pascal language, as one of my goals is total compatibilty with Delphi 7.

If anything, it would be wonderful to have you on board with the project - seeing as you've managed to develop an engine like that is quite an accomplishment. Just think what the pascal community could achieve if everyone rallied their knowledge and skill under one banner and worked towards a common codebase? That, above all, is the goal of the PGDCE: to unify all the people in the pascal-space maintaining their own engines under one roof so that we can produce a faster, more reliable, more modern engine that is open for everyone while requiring less individual effort from everyone and less maintenance.
    I would love to accept this many years ago. But now I really can't dedicate myself for working on such a big project, when I have two big projects already (my engine and my mmorpg) and I also have a full time job as graphic programmer.

If anything, it would be wonderful to have you on board with the project - seeing as you've managed to develop an engine like that is quite an accomplishment. Just think what the pascal community could achieve if everyone rallied their knowledge and skill under one banner and worked towards a common codebase? That, above all, is the goal of the PGDCE: to unify all the people in the pascal-space maintaining their own engines under one roof so that we can produce a faster, more reliable, more modern engine that is open for everyone while requiring less individual effort from everyone and less maintenance.
    I agree that this idea is good and every one would benefit from focused development of a single engine instead of many scattered engines like we have now.

About the xkcd comic and adopting standards, yes, but there's also no guarantee that this "standard" would be adopted by the majority.
    And finally, I ask, is there really a need for a full engine for pascal developers?
    I think for most pascal users something like ZenGL is enough, developing a 3d game costs lots of money and is out of scope for most devs (just to give you an idea, I already invested like 5k thousand into my 3d mmorpg).

Finally, my plans for my current engine was to forget about the "pascal" part, since I concluded the market was too small and I had decided to start distributing the engine as a precompiled dll for users of other languages. This will be probably what I will do.
    I guess if you guys really want to make this community engine I can help with some stuff, but I can't really commit myself to it.
    Last edited by Relfos; 04-07-2014 at 12:44 AM.
    www.pascalgameengine.com - Crossplatform 3D game engine