Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: GamePascal - Cross-platform Game Development in Object Pascal

So true..... so true. Not kind at all. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Carver413 View Post
    I can't imagine theres much money to be made in game engines these days. I know we all secretly wish it to be so but reality is not kind to us.
    The problem is that there are already a few nice and considerably cheap game engines like Unity out there. But unfortunately most of them are made to be used with other programming languages.
    And since Objective Pascal is not so popular for game development there is also lower demmand for game engines made for it.

Now I would be interested in using of already made Pascal based game engine but I have realized that I still have to learn quite a few things about game development.

Quote Originally Posted by piradyne View Post
    So true..... so true. Not kind at all. Sigh.
    Better put your effort into a game rather than a game engine. IMHO a better way to earn money. (There are plenty more players than developers out there ...)
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermonkey View Post
    Better put your effort into a game rather than a game engine. IMHO a better way to earn money. (There are plenty more players than developers out there ...)
    I agree with this. Unity3D leads in this area, and considering you can get it for free it's hard to compete with that. And there is also the release of Unreal 4 engine for 19$ a month. And there are not that many pascal developers, or people willing to learn pascal I'm afraid. As a friend said, anyone who knows how to use a mouse makes games in Unity3D. And I've seen a fair share of pascal developers making their own tech (I'm guilty as well). In any case, whatever tech I do make I can expect only to be used by me. Think it'd be best just to build great games in pascal, with your own engine or otherwise.
    Existence is pain

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777 View Post
    Unity3D leads in this area, and considering you can get it for free it's hard to compete with that.
    You can start developing with Unity 3D for free but as soon as you sell enough copies of your software or earn certain amount of income you need to purchase the proffesional licence.
    https://unity3d.com/company/legal/eula
    So you can't actually say it is for free but it doesen't present you with initial expenses just to start developing with it as many other game engines do.

Yea just gonna concentrate on the games I think. Here is the engine tech I made for the above mention projects. I am not sure what direction I will take it in. I can not open source it because there are some licensed tech in there and too many other dependencies of which I do not have the time to remove and fix up necessary for a proper open source release. So I will release what I have as it is as a stand-alone engine in binary format that can be used in Delphi/FreePascal. If anyone finds it useful cool... if not... cool. It's a pity that I am the only one that knows all the great stuff in this engine. I had polygon based collision detection and image auto tracing before it became well known ... almost 8-9 years ago. Ahh oh well... at least I have all the knowledge learned over the years that I can draw upon. Sigh.

http://piradyne.com/temp/piradyne_engine.zip

Peace!

Seems Pascal era is over(at least game development). More engines are shutting down, and more developers starting to use something else for game development. After shutting down my own engine I don't see bright future for Pascal, because support of different platforms is not good(e.g. support of iOS with time become much worse, because of changes in Xcode/etc.), and Delphi XE5 appeared too late and with too high price.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Seems Pascal era is over(at least game development). More engines are shutting down, and more developers starting to use something else for game development.
    Pascal era for game development ower? Why? Becouse development on some game engines has been stopped?
    Pascal era for game development wont't be ower until pepole stop making games in Pascal compleetly. But from what I understand most pepole who stopped development on their own game engines still intent on making games. And for these they actually will make custom game engines specifically suited for those particular games rather than suited for most posible games.
    And that could in the end turn out to be even better becouse when you are designing a game engine specifically for some game you focus on those parts that will be important for that game and not "waste" with implementing of whole bunch of other features you probably won't even need. So this will lead to faster development and probably more optimized game engines which will have better performance.

So don't write off Pascal game development yet!

Becouse development on some game engines has been stopped?
    Not only because of this, I wrote about switching to other tools/languages by developers. And take a look on Pascal communities, nowadays its almost died. Shutting down of engines is only some part of whole "picture".

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Not only because of this, I wrote about switching to other tools/languages by developers. And take a look on Pascal communities, nowadays its almost died. Shutting down of engines is only some part of whole "picture".
    Hey I'm well aware about Objective Pascal comunity getting less and less popular and I'm also well aware of the reasons for this.
    Main reason for this is that not so long ago there was verry litle choice in Objective Pascal development tools (overpriced Delphi and somewheat unstable FPC). But that has changed recently. It is true that Delphi is still overpriced and that Embarcadero is def about suggestions on making Delphi more afordable for smaller developers and programmer beginers.
    But FPC on the other hand become verry stable. Some even say it is already more stable than Delphi.
    Also there is a Smart Mobile Studio here which suposingly is also quite good Pascal based development tool.

So you see potential developers have now much more choices than they had in past and until we (older Objective Pascal) would be prepared to share our knowledge with other new or old programmers and make games/applications with it there is still chance for it to gain more popularity.
    But if we start complaining about how unpopular Objective Pascal is and such we are driving away other pepole which might be interested in trying to do some programming in Objective Pascal othevise.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast