Thanks SilverWarior, the reason is that I want to try to get the game on Steam and the broken full screen mode is a complaint I get most, so it needs to be fixed.
Actually the DelphiX version is already kind of a port, since it started out as a DOS game, so it mainly just uses one DIB from DelphiX to draw the screen on, so moving to a different library shouldn't be that bad.
But your idea for borderless full screen window is probably a good temporary fix (eventhough I would prefer real fullscreen for the smoothness), it sure would be better than having an option in the game that doesn't work.
I recently contacted the author, maybe he will still reply. But I think it is something that Microsoft needs to fix (and from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-997b996b9567 I don't think it is very high on their priority list.

I don't remember running into that problem of the names, but it's a good thing to know. And yes, unicode could be a problem too, especially combined with assembly (I used to have lots of optimized string functions like UpCaseStr with assembly). I should probably rewrite all my assembly code to standard pascal.