Thread: So whatever happened to the whole PGDCE thing?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi View Post
    And I don't want anyone else posting apologies etc. or implying that they haven't done enough. What I'm after is honest feedback from every regular visitor about what they would like to see. Do you want tutorials about things? If so, what? Should they be geared to a particular platform, be entirely theoretical, what? Interviews... if you could interview anyone in the industries related to the site (game development, marketing, language development etc. etc.) who would you want to interview? What would you want to ask them?
    I'd like to see a series of step by step tutorials that produce a visble, working output at the end.

Each successive tutorial building on the previous tutorials code.

Each tutorial coming with complete working source code available to download.

They should target Lazarus - it's free, available on all platforms and would require the bare minimum if at all covering platform specifics (up to a certain point at least)

They should target OpenGL 3.0+ style contexts, firstly focusing on 2D (but very briefly) then bringing in 3D. Any tutorials on old immediate mode GL are just teaching bad practices - GL3 is *easier* - there's just less information around for learners.

Tutorials should be pushing people towards 3D. People should get into 3D straight away instead of seeing it as this distant target that they have to be a master of 2D before they move on to. I've always found this mildly aggravating and to the determent of people's progress - nobody insists on learning to ride a motorbike before they get in a car because they want to master 2 wheels before they move onto 4. It's not 'the next level up' and learning 2D first only spawns naive notions about working in 3D. There should be absolute emphasis on the fact that 2D and 3D approaches are vastly different and the former is NOT a precursor to the latter.

Basically exactly like the famous NEHE OpenGL tutorials (http://nehe.gamedev.net/) but specifically for Pascal/Object Pascal and the standard GL3+ way of doing things.
    Last edited by phibermon; 14-03-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.