Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Qdfps

Qdfps

He all,

After a long absence of any game programming I started a new little project today Its called Quick and Dirty FPS. It`s going to be very simple FPS multiplayer deathmatch game like Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 where the editing and levels are inspired by Minecraft. Unlike my previous projects with complex graphics etc this one is going to be as simple as possible Today I implemented:

- Basic editing
    - Console with a simple scripting language
    - Octree for rendering the maps
    - Simple collision with the map geometry
    - Skybox

Here is a little video

Some things I`m going to work on next:
    - Optimise the rendering of the cubes
    - Saving and loading of levels
    - Static models to add to the basic geometry
    - Per vertex lighting for the geometry

Regards,

Luuk

Blog Entries
    Neat!

It would be fun to play something very arena-based. How far does your Minecraft influence go on this game project?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Like shown in the video the only thing minecraft is the use of simple blocks for constructing the levels

This reminds me a bit of "Sauerbraten" a.k.a "Cube 2"
    Best regards,
    Cybermonkey

Yes, the thing that Cube 2 allows you to do is manipulate each individual vertex/edge per cube so you can have more complex geometry I`m just staying with cubes

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    Cubes rock, and good work! but I'm afraid my soul cannot rest until I've pointed out that Cube 2, with it's ability to manipulate individual verticies on a 'cube', is a mockery of all things Cube.

It would be more accurately described as "hexahedron 2" although those amongst you who require an exact definition may insist upon "non-regular 6 side polyhedron 2"

Although it has to be said it doesn't roll off the tounge very well.

Any why would it? all those flat faces.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Looks a good idea. With a short and easy learning curve you can get a lot of users.
    It's interesting to see how easy tools can get a great audience like the minecraft editor. There are other games with powerful editors that are misused. Maybe for the same reason people don't use Eiffel language...

Minecraft isn't even taking all the advantage out of 3d grid. It would be possible to use more than just cubes, such as cylinders, slopes and so on. I will put my future efforts on fully dynamic landscape though, consisting of various object instances. No grid of any sort is actually needed in game like Unreal Tournament. Everything is just built of objects (ready 3d-models).

He guys,

So I finished the basic editing, basic collision and the basic systems for the QDFPS engine so its time for a little demo

Controls:
    - Mouse and WASD for movement.
    - 1 for geometry editing.
    - 2 for texturing.
    - Scroll to loop through the textures.
    - In geometry mode press left mouse to add a block with the current selected texture and right mouse to remove a block.
    - In texture mode press left mouse to apply the selected texture to the selected block surface.
    - ~ opens the command line. Type list for an overview of the commands.

Thats about

Next up:
    - Optimise the rendering of the cubes

Greetz

Luuk
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Luuk van Venrooij; 17-01-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Interesting. It remembers me to Ace of Spades.

Is it Windows only? Will be the scenery destructible?
    No signature provided yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast