Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
About the results from a survey which has been made recently about different computer devices:
Survey had only been taking into acount the number of sold devices but didn't take into account the average lifspan for each device. So if you have two different devices where average lifespan of one is 2 years (mobile phones, tablets) and a lifespan of other device is 5 years (desktop computers, laptops) greater sales of first one doesn't necessariely mean that now more pepole is using it.
Well, the usage numbers tell otherwise: Usage share of different OSes. If you look into current trends and forecasts, number of Android and iOS units will greatly surpass Windows + Others. In other words, we will have more phones than desktop units. If what you say about average lifespan is true, then it is another minus for desktop development as the innovations/upgrades will be more focused on mobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWarior View Post
And since most programers still takes into account sentance "No optimization is best optimization!" they are having huge problems when they are trying to develop programs vor various mobile devices.
Yes, this is called Premature Optimization.

I agree that on mobiles you need to rethink how you program stuff, especially if you want to achieve similar scalability as on desktop. It's difficult to beat native code there, which I why I'm inclined against Java and HTML5 based alternatives. I think they are okay for business, accounting and some other basic stuff, but for games where you need to use all of the device's resources, they may not be the best choice.