Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Projekt "W"

Projekt "W"

Quote Originally Posted by cragwolf
    As an aspiring amateur game developer I'm not sure what to feel: inspired to follow your lead, or discouraged in the knowledge that I could never do as well and so I might as well hang up my hat. Anyway, I'm sure there are enough "half-full glass" people out there to follow in your footsteps.
    The only certainty is that if you don't try then that is 100% failure. I don't think you should ever hang up your hat as each developer brings their own unique perspective to a game.

Sascha, I've not had a chance to check out your demo yet, but will do so later today.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Projekt "W"

Amazing job I am a big fan of MOO series and Risk and your game seems to have some ideas from those titles. I would really like to see 'Hot Seat" multiplayer mode to play a friend on one computer.

Regards,

Wodzu

Projekt "W"

Oh yeah, I just thought of this, but I don't know if you'd want to change it so late.

Instead of zooming by increasing the planet's size, and therefore growing into the water and perhaps out of it, you could zoom the camera's position inwards. At that point you could also add more detailed icons up close if you wanted. But you probably already thought of that.

Projekt "W"

Both the video players on my Linux machine that support the WMV format were unable to play it. Said they need additional codec or something.

I then tried to convert it to AVI using VirtualDub (launched in wine) but I got this:

Why are you people so keen on using propietary formats that only M$ tools can open? :?

Projekt "W"

Show me a good, reliable tool for video capture that is user friendly and supports a variety of formats that is entirely free... so far, too many require a myriad of patches, or only support raw AVI. It's a mess. At least WMV/ASX is uniform, and Windows Movie Maker comes with XP. :roll:

Projekt "W"

When I was still working in Windows, I used FRAPS (generates weakly compressed AVIs) + VirtualDub (to recompress them to DIVX). Worked finely for me.

The thing is, nobody writes the ready-to-use video on the fly, the process requires too much processing power. You first write them raw (or almost raw, as FRAPS does) with one tool, then compress/filter/resize/etc. with another tool.

Projekt "W"

Well, I tried VirtualDub, and for something relatively easy to use, it did require a few extra codecs. I have DivX Create 6, but it doesn't like the RAW FRAPS avi's. Something about invalid format, or somesuch. After a few failed attempts at that I gave up. (Not like I have much to encode though.) Anyway, it seems to be just a bothersome process.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread Sascha, sorry. It just bugs me at the scatterbrained nature of video conversion.

Projekt "W"

Normally, you have a codec p ack installed (K-Lite, CCCP or some other thing), which includes all you need to work with DivX in VirtualDub. Heck, VirtualDub works even in Linux! A great program and very easy to use.

Next, FRAPS (AFAIK) installs its own codec so that other programs could work with AVIs generated by it.

Projekt "W"

I'm kinda busy the last days and weeks but I try to find some hours each day to put into Projekt W and I already made several news updates on it on my home page. Recently I wrote about the state of the game and included some new images to show the game's current progress. You can read up more on this here.

And for your viewing pleasure here are the new screenshots (click for bigger view) :

Projekt "W"

That game looks amazing.
    I'm loving the whole look and feel of the game.
    I'm not sure how I'd get on with the gameplay as I'm rubbish at stratergy games like that.. but the graphics look very polished.

I particularly like the water.

that Earth is cool too, reminds me of UFO Enemy Unknown.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast