Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 PGD "Multiplexity" Game Programming Compo

2007 PGD "Multiplexity" Game Programming Compo

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Hi Vgo, You can use model, textures or audio from 3rd parties as long as you are licenced to use them. We don't want to get into a situation where we or you get sued for using some else's resources without their position.
    Ok, that's good to hear. I'd prefer to have some of my friends creating the content for me, but if that fails then I have to start digging.

Quote Originally Posted by IlovePascal
    Come on man! The compo is more about creativity and having fun than getting the best graphics!
    I know, but if it's up to me then my entry will have some nice boxes in it and that's all.

I bought DeleD and I've used it to create some simple test scenes that I can render in my game engine, but if I'd have to make space ship, car or some kind of human model I just simply can't do it.

I have never made a 3D game before (I got OpenGL working for the first time three days ago!), and I have no idea how to make great graphics, but the idea is to go for it, do your best!
    I've used OpenGL since 1997 or so, but due to lack of time sometimes months pass until I pick up on it again.

I'm gonna create my game engine from scratch for the competition. Obviously I'll use some pieces of code I've written in the past, but the engine itself will be brand new.

I believe it would be very very hard for us beginners to do better than the many ppl out there who make models and hard out graphics every day, so I'm gonna use that time to make a fun game instead of a pretty game!
    For me the competition is not about graphics. However, I'd like to have some "ok" looking content in my game. I'm not aiming for the graphical quality and complexity of Doom3/Half-Life2/whatever, there's no time nor resources for that.
    If you develop an idiot proof system, the nature develops better idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by steb
    is this correct? the only "physical" prizes are some mugs? No one asked ATI or NVIDIA for sponsorship prizes? I'm sure they could spare a few Video cards to give away....
    Hi Steb,
    Welcome to PGD. Every year we ask ATI, Nvidia for prizes and so far they have never responded to my emails. If you have specific contacts within either of these companies or any other game companies I would be more than happy to contact them about additional sponsorship. The problem with large organisations is getting in contact with the right person.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

is this correct? the only "physical" prizes are some mugs? No one asked ATI or NVIDIA for sponsorship prizes? I'm sure they could spare a few Video cards to give away....
    Hi Steb,
    Welcome to PGD. Every year we ask ATI, Nvidia for prizes and so far they have never responded to my emails. If you have specific contacts within either of these companies or any other game companies I would be more than happy to contact them about additional sponsorship. The problem with large organisations is getting in contact with the right person.
    You could contact M3, DS-X, NeoFlash and NinjaDS. They're very supportive for nds homebrew development and as far as I know, they have sponsored several compos.
    I'm pretty sure that you will get some cards for nds
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

No one asked ATI or NVIDIA for sponsorship prizes? I'm sure they could spare a few Video cards to give away....
    You can't expect commertial company to give away products for "nothing". The only possible return on investment for either NVIDIA or ATI is a good publicity, i.e. marketing value. So, you can talk to them only if you can guarantee that prizes will, for example, show the need for their GPU's - like requiring entried to use advanced 3D techniques (that will not allow Intel integrated to run them) or something similar. You can't just give away 'GPU prize' for entry that is not even using 3D graphics. I don't belive that PGD competition is ready for that yet.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

That's not true. At least NVidia also sponsored some competitions that were not about 3D graphics and effects, like the last competition held by gamedev.net. If I remember correct they haven't had one single entry in that compo with modern graphic effects.
    So I guess it's just a matter of what people you know within the industrie or how to get in touch with important people. But on the other hand I think that NVidia and/or ATI are turned off by the term "pascal" due to it's usual connection with a dead language that's only used for learning purposes in school. But maybe if someone could show a PR person from one of those companies how well some of the entries from the last two compos looked, this may change.
    And even if there is nothing about 3D graphics in this compo they won't waste their cards, as it would still be public relations work, so they would still gain popularity with sponsoring PGD.

Hi Steb,
    drop Rene Froeleke (rfroeleke[at]ati[dot]com) an email, explaining the contest and giving an URL to the website (include an url to the page showing last year's winners). Rene works in ATI Public Relations.

I would suggest making a list of 10-20 companies, preparing a simple email explaining the contest and how they could sponsor, and fire it off to all of them. Make sure you address it to a person and not a department (ex: "bob.marley[at]biggames[dot]com" is preferable to "marketing[at]biggames[dot]com")

Then follow up by email a few days later, then by telephone a few days after that.

in the email offer simple ways that they can become sponsors (everything from small prizes and small cash donations or products)... usually a company will want to do MORE than give a cheap prize, and will offer something better than the small prizes you suggest.

Explain that their Logo can be prominantly displayed on all contest posters & advertisments if they wish to become a "major sponsor".

If after the 2 emails and phone call, you are still unable to get a response, have someone drop by their office. ex: In montreal, I could visit SoftImage, Ubisoft, EA, Matrox.... and others for you guys.

regarding the mugs:
    I would suggest that you contact cafepress and see if they will offer some prizes. You could then have the category winner's game logo, or screenshot printed on the mug/t-shirt/whatever for free.......

You could also contact Borland/Devco for sponsorship. They are sure to have a vested interest in promoting development in Pascal/Delphi.

all of this can be started by compiling a list of industry contacts (found on company websites) writing a short form letter, and firing it off to all of them.... the key is to follow up.

edited: added Rene's email address in first paragraph.

Edit by Traveler: Made emails less readable for spiders/harvesters

For NVIDIA PR contacts probably should be: Derek Perez (dperez_nvidia.com) and/or Brian Burke (bburke_nvidia.com)

PS. I thought @ati.com e-mail no longer works, and we need @amd.com ones?
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

edited: added Rene's email address in first paragraph.
    Hi Steb,
    thanks for the ati contact info, unfortunately as Clootie mentioned, the ati.com emails bounce.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

You can try rene.froeleke_amd.com

savage:

I was also wondering, how exactly does one "enter" the competition? The entry process is not outlined in the contest posting. Do people email you or another mod? was there an entry form to fill out?

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast