Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unnamed Project

Unnamed Project

Hey all,

After about a year of nearly zero game programming activities I've decided to give it a try again. In the past years I've struggled a lot with both engines as well as graphics. I've used engines that are now old or abandoned. I've used my own codebase, which meant a lot of time was spent on things other than the actual game. That is one of the things I'm going to change. I've been in contact with Jarrod Davis of PyroGine‚Ѣ Development and I'm happy to say I will be using his engine for this project.

Regarding graphics, it's an ever present question. Why do that too? Simple, because I like doing it. Plus, unless I pay someone to do the job, chances are it wont get finished. During the past couple of months I have spent quit a bit of time doing 3d modeling, practicing, participating in contests, etc. Hopefully the experience I've built up is going to help.

So, about the game. I've burned myself over and over again by starting something that, in the end, was too big or too complicated. Of course there is always a possibility things get out of hand, but choosing a proper genre may limit that greatly. For this project I'm going back to one of the very first genres: Platform games. Pretty much in the style of the games by Apogee. I have some good memories of them and I've always wanted to recreate that experience.

For the time being, I have no intention of starting a new blog or website. All information regarding this project will be placed here in this thread. If things go well, and I hope they do, I might start a site to organize the material.

Ok, enough talk for now. First stop is designing the main character, a marine. Perhaps a bit of a common character these days, but what can I say, I like sci fi.
    Here's a first render. Mind you it's a WIP and thus far from finished.

More to come soon...

Re: Unnamed Project

Wow.. that's a nice detailed model. You've really spend some time one that one, me thinks.

I'd like to see more.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

That model looks cool. What software are you using?
    Glad to see you are developing a game again. I've been a fan of your work since the DelphiX platformer tutorials.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Thanks both

It's probably going to be more detailed later on. I've collected nearly two dozen images of space marines, troopers and such as inspiration. It's somewhat harder than I thought it would be and takes quite a bit of time too. It's not so much the modeling (I use Lightwave btw), but rather the design of the suite that makes it hard. I can't wait to start texturing though. That's when it really starts to look good

Blog Entries

Hey nice first model shot. I'm pretty excited to see you making games again. I hope to see some cool screenies soon.

What kind(s) of genre are we talking here? Platformer, overhead shooter, FPS, 3rdPS, RPG? Will the game have a storyline?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Hey nice first model shot. I'm pretty excited to see you making games again. I hope to see some cool screenies soon.

What kind(s) of genre are we talking here? Platformer, overhead shooter, FPS, 3rdPS, RPG? Will the game have a storyline?
    His first post indicates platformer, at least.

I'm guessing you're going to be doing prerendered graphics then?

Yes, a platformer it is. I want to get a simple demo out asap, so I'm aiming for the extreme basics first. Running around, jumping, shooting of course and some enemies. I do not have a complete story yet. The only part I have worked out is the beginning of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    Yes, a platformer it is. I want to get a simple demo out asap, so I'm aiming for the extreme basics first. Running around, jumping, shooting of course and some enemies. I do not have a complete story yet. The only part I have worked out is the beginning of the game.
    Nice model! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your game...good luck chief

Maybe you could use my 2d tile collision code (or similar) from the first Pascal Gamer magazine to help you with your platformer?

cheers,
    Paul

@Traveler

Coolness. Glad to see things are progressing and of course proud that PGE is getting mileage. If you need help with anything feel free to contact me anytime.
    _
    ( ((
    \ =\
    __\_ `-\
    (____))( \----
    (____)) _
    (____))
    (____))____/----
    Thumbs Up

Code On my friend, code on.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

@Jarrod, Thanks. And I probably will in the near future

Thanks Paul
    I have read your article. It's pretty good. Certainly a source for inspiration when I start coding.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast