Thread: PGDmC - Duke of Dragonfear: Deathland

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    As I've said at "What gives?" it's too hot here, in Madrid, and I can't think a lot. You know, I feel lazy (I mean "more lazy" ) but I'm trying to advance in the game. Yesterday I was modifying the tilemap engine from the Allegro.pas demonstration game. Now it loads the tileset and seems to render everything right. I hope I can write a "map-maker" to build random maps this night and then I can show you how it looks.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 30-06-2011 at 08:26 AM.
    No signature provided yet.

I had problems with the dungeon generator; it was harder than I suspected. But here you have an screen-shot:

(No, it isn't MacOS, nor it is Windows: it's Xubuntu. But the game should work on MacOS and Windows too, theoretically )
    I have half sprite system finished. I hope I have a crawling player this night.
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 06-07-2011 at 07:59 AM.

I have a dragon in my project too!
    Last edited by Jimmy Valavanis; 30-03-2012 at 04:35 PM.

The original Duke of Dragonfear has dragons. I'm not sure if this will have, because I didn't find a good dragon graphic for it. May be I should look deeper.

BTW, the player is in!

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez View Post
    I had problems with the dungeon generator; it was harder than I suspected.
    Map generation is sensitive; you can make great maps with a few lines of code, but it has to be the right lines. I made one once, based on a few random rectangles and corridors between them. I didn't care if a corridor crossed over another room, and rooms could overlap. It was that simple and it never created a bad level.

You obviously create visible walls, but if you do that as post-processing, simply detecting edges, then it shouldn't be hard. But you are making things a bit trickier wih pseudo-3D effects. You can't have too narrow corridors, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingemar View Post
    Map generation is sensitive; you can make great maps with a few lines of code, but it has to be the right lines. I made one once, based on a few random rectangles and corridors between them. I didn't care if a corridor crossed over another room, and rooms could overlap. It was that simple and it never created a bad level.
    Actually I wrote a similar algorithm on MSX some time ago, but I decided to use a different one here. BTW, I think I'll rewrite the map-making algorithm for the final version, after the contest. I don't know what algorithm to use.

Oh, and now the game engine is almost finished! Here you have: Zombies!

After this shot I added skeletons, similar to the ones from the classic "Jason and the Argonauts" film. Zombies are easy to fight but skeletons are harder.

Are you going to implement some form of shadows? (simplistic, like circular) Perhaps it's different when you play it, but right now it looks a bit awkward.

Yes, I know. It's like they're floating or something. Shadows are in my TODO list.

I did a test when I implemented the player but I didn't like it. Next step is to add a (fake) runtime lighting to create an atmosphere (there are a lot of light). Then I'll try some different shadows (solid, translucent, alpha-channel, circle, sprite, ...) and select one of them.