Yeah the indie gaming scene does offer a lot of repetition and redundancy in many areas. And of course people out for a quick buck, which I'm not all that in favor of myself.

I think all of us should be looking out for trances of these things in our own commercial attempts too. I don't think that there are too many here that would try to "milk it", but if your game looks like it's trying to be much more honest (opposite of what these other games are putting off as a message to their players) then I think that will speak volumes for your games and your group/company/own self as a game developer and people may be more receptive to trying your games and looking to see what else you have done.

I've found myself to become a fan of Double Fine Productions (as an example) for this reason. I may not be a hardcore fan of everything they put out, but I at least enjoy most of what I've tried of theirs because of their honest approach to making their games. It's an example of a nice way to be in the game dev world.