Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
I'm finding that some teams are having a hard time sticking to theme. It's almost as if they want to make what they want to make and then force the theme into it. I guess that's just one angle to go at it from a creative stand-point.
Well, I picked my game genre based on time availability and complexity, given the time frame all content-based genres were out given I don't have anyone working on the graphics or level design (that eliminates RPG, FPS, platformers, hand-tuned puzzles...), that left reflex (shooters), random-puzzle and level-scaled/grind games. Given that my last one was basically a shooter, and I had no original idea for a random-puzzle games...

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
Fair enough, but it almost makes me want to do the next one where you have to do it from scratch.
I'm starting completely from scratch this time, in a way it's nice and unencumbered, no library, no game engine, bare-bones RTL, open horizons! but on the other, hand, it's a little "too scratch", I'm making up even the 2D vector stuff and sin/cos caching as I go, been a while since I last had to write those ;-)