Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 62

Thread: 2nd PGD Challenge Questions!

  1. #11
    Co-Founder / PGD Elder WILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,108
    Blog Entries
    25
    No, you don't need to state invitation, everyone is invited. As long as you upload something to the FTP server with the proper readme file with who you are and a contact email, AND it follows all the other basic requirements (Pascal, under 200MB, etc) then it counts as a submission.

    Yes you may post any screenshots or video you like. In fact we encourage it. Your submission entry into the competition, though created for it, is yours to do with as you like. We have no say, except that we get to show it off and use it and screenshots and video captures from it to help promote the community and future competitions.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder





  2. #12
    Ok, then I'm in.
    I have a great idea, a lot of time until competition ends and a big piece of will to do this. I will create topic here when I'll have something to show.
    Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

  3. #13
    Co-Founder / PGD Elder WILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,108
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthman View Post
    Ok, then I'm in.
    I have a great idea, a lot of time until competition ends and a big piece of will to do this. I will create topic here when I'll have something to show.
    Sounds great, I can't wait to see what you and other will (or already have) start(ed) to show off.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder





  4. #14
    Is it a requirement to post source code too?

  5. #15
    Co-Founder / PGD Elder WILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,108
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    Is it a requirement to post source code too?
    You should give the rules a more thorough read, but no it is not required. Including source code is optional, but still highly encouraged.


    "OPEN SOURCE: We are letting the competitors choose to include source or not. This will allow the games created in this competition and their engines to be used for commercial use by their authors afterwards. The option is yours, but you don't have to include it to compete in this challenge."
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder





  6. #16
    3RD PARTY LIBRARIES & API: 3rd party API and libraries are allowed based on availability of Pascal headers for them. The core of your game's engine must still be Pascal.

    3RD PARTY GAME ENGINES: The only 3rd party game engines allowed to be used in your entries are those made from Pascal or Object Pascal sources. Translated from C/C++ to Pascal projects are acceptable. However a significant amount of content including all graphics, dialog, music and sound must be replaced with that of either your own making or that which you are legally allowed to use for your game's release.
    I just want to be clear on your definition of a game engine. When you write game engine you are referring to an engine that e.g. is FPS were you basically just have to add game assets?
    I take that it is ok to use a general purpose game engine (im my case JMonkey) written in a different language, as long as the games specific logic is pascal-based?

    btw. Do the judges own gamepads?
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

  7. #17
    Co-Founder / PGD Elder WILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,108
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by pstudio View Post
    I just want to be clear on your definition of a game engine. When you write game engine you are referring to an engine that e.g. is FPS were you basically just have to add game assets?
    I take that it is ok to use a general purpose game engine (im my case JMonkey) written in a different language, as long as the games specific logic is pascal-based?
    A "game engine" is properly defined as code which constitutes the main functionality or mechanics of gameplay of a game. A game engine packaged for use by other game developers to create a specific game also falls under this definition. There are two ways it can be provided however: open source or closed source. Closed source is not acceptable for use in this competition as it's about programing in Pascal not modding existing engines. Open source is only acceptable if it was written in or translated to some form of approved Pascal languages or dialects.

    A more specificly geared library, CALLED "engine" for such things as graphics, audio/music or physics is not considered a "game engine" as defined by the rules of the PGD Challenge. So these are all acceptable, written in Pascal or not, as long as they can be used in your game code which is to be written in an approved "Pascal" language.

    JMonkey is ok to use as far as I can tell since it would be defined as a physics library by the rules of this competition.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder





  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    A "game engine" is properly defined as code which constitutes the main functionality or mechanics of gameplay of a game. A game engine packaged for use by other game developers to create a specific game also falls under this definition. There are two ways it can be provided however: open source or closed source. Closed source is not acceptable for use in this competition as it's about programing in Pascal not modding existing engines. Open source is only acceptable if it was written in or translated to some form of approved Pascal languages or dialects.

    A more specificly geared library, CALLED "engine" for such things as graphics, audio/music or physics is not considered a "game engine" as defined by the rules of the PGD Challenge. So these are all acceptable, written in Pascal or not, as long as they can be used in your game code which is to be written in an approved "Pascal" language.
    In my world (and at least the university where I study game technology) a game engine does not necessarily contain the main mechanics of a game's gameplay. A general purpose game engine (like Unity3D e.g.) combines several specific systems like a 3D rendering engine, physics engine and sound engine and make them work seamless with each other. A specialized game engine (which is what you're referring to) builds upon these systems and defines a specific gameplay (like FPS Creator e.g.).

    Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    JMonkey is ok to use as far as I can tell since it would be defined as a physics library by the rules of this competition.
    JMonkey is what I call a general purpose engine. It combines e.g. jBullet (physics) and lwjgl (opengl, openal). It has an input manager, 3d rendering system, animation system, scene graph etc. but it doesn't specify any gameplay mechanics. It "just" enables the developer to focus on writing gameplay and don't worry (too much) about LOD rendering, Model loading, physics integration and all those tedious issues blocking you from creating an awesome game

    But I guess JMonkey is fine to use based on your definition so I better get started on my game
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

  9. #19
    Is it valid to use sounds, music, tiles or sprites taken from game maker tools?

  10. #20
    Co-Founder / PGD Elder WILL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,108
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by pitfiend View Post
    Is it valid to use sounds, music, tiles or sprites taken from game maker tools?
    Where you get your "assets" or "content" from is not as important as long as it's legal to use. If those sprites, music and so on are acceptable to distribute as indicated by them (either by including them as public domain, or by license) then I can't see a problem with using them if they work for your game's design.

    Unfortunately, though I do have a copy of Game Maker 8 for Mac, I don't know enough about it's included content to know one way or the other from experience.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder





Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comodo SSL