Thread: G.T.A.2 Map Editor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    On defence of pascal language, it has all those features aswell. Vectors - TList, inc(pointer_variable) etc. I cannot say about templates, generics whatever, it is my assumption they exist in some form in FPC, but i don't use them.
    I know, i like Delphi more, its compiler is faster than BCB6. I can modify something in my Delphi project src and run and see the results immediately, Delphi compiler is so fast (talking about D7 here). The more recent version the slower the compiler is.
    In BCB its pretty slow. I know it has to compile also alot but still its faster than i guess the BCB2009 and newer.
    Whats really bad in case of BCB6, the TBX and TB2k do not work well in it. I get lots of out of memory access violations and BCB6 IDE just crashes and doesnt allow itself to close.
    There seems to be no free replacement for TB2K / TBX addon. Just the ugly default TToolbar and TMainmenu. But with TBX its possible to make alot nicer interfaces.
    For my script compiler i use Delphi and im able to use TBX there, all working smoothly.

Also it works fine in CodeGear BCB2007 but it doesnt like the BCB6 for some reason. Too bad..

And to be even more honest with you, im not sure if i will convert it to BCB.
    I could and already use some DLLs made in BCB for texture caches etc, using STL stuff in DLL. And using in my editor project.

All works fine.
    I have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by User137 View Post
    If i understood right, you are somehow using pascal-compiled object files with C++, then just making header files for it? This might not be crossplatform way at least, not even 32-64-bit compatible. But if you create something that could be shared in public, i could let you upload to new folder in SVN trunk. (I cannot say that i would be able to test it though :/ )
    Yes, BCB generated .hpp and .obj files from Delphi DCUs and links them into exe.
    I wish Delphi could link PURE C++ .obj files / libs into its exes. And if this would allow to link stl stuff in, i would be very happy.

But atm we must use DLL's, at least they invented DLLs.

To be honest in my projects i dont care about crossplatform. GTA2 is only for WIN32 so is my editor.
    And also i dont make games so much. At least currently.
    Im not very much interested in latest XE4 also, it has some new and maybe even crossplatform things in it. But i dont know. I havent read about this. I know it should support 64bit but i dont have such computers. People talk pretty bad things about latest versions. People constantly leaving or laid off from Embarc. etc. Bad things going on.
    I have seen many articles from real ex. people from inside Embarc. talking about how bad things inside Embarc. actually are.

I miss the good "old" Borland.

If you would want to include this BCB version in svn, then i will have to make it more clean and more professional. Atm its quick and dirty. But i guess it wont hurt to add BCB version there.
    Last edited by hwnd; 01-08-2013 at 02:40 PM.