Thread: Projekt Weltherrscher - "Phase 2"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Will do so, and I'll also announce it over here at PGD, so don't worry

And yesterday I reached a "historical" milestone! After roughly a week of hard work (5~6h each day, after 8h of coding at work) I fnally to the game to compile with FPC / Lazarus :

Most time consuming part of this procedure was replacing all the Delphi XML-stuff. I really like how XML is impelemented in Delphi, but it's based on MS-XML COM, so it's windows only and it differs in terms of coding from the XML-implementation for FPC. And since I had to replace several thousands lines of code I opted for NativeXML, cause it doesn't need external libs, works with Delphi and FPC and should work an all platforms I want to move to. And it's much faster than the Delphi implementation. Other than that I only had to put in a few ifdefs for different unit names or generics definitions and now the game compiles with Delphi and Lazarus (I want to keep all options open, maybe Embarcadero's mobile Studio will allo easy porting to android).

And even better, the game is also fully playable :

There are a few missing text labels and some visual glitches, but nothing that can't be fixed within a few days.

The next step now is to remove all windows specific stuff, and that's not a lot. Creation of render context has to be implemented for the other platforms, but otherwise I don't use OS specific stuff in a lot of places. So I'm pretty confident that I'll have a running Linux version up very soon, hopefully to be followed by a Mac OSX version (problem here : I don't own OSX, and as far as I know I can't compile for it without).

And it's much faster than the Delphi implementation.
    do you mean fpc version is much faster than delphi one ?

Quote Originally Posted by AirPas View Post
    do you mean fpc version is much faster than delphi one ?
    That was related to the XML-Implementation of Native XML. XML-Functionality in Delphi is based on MS-XML which is pretty slow. So for the next release, all XML-based stuff will be faster (loading and saving games, startup in general, etc.).

And btw. I finally got Lazarus set up under a current Ubuntu. Actually I hate the Ubuntu user interface (worst UI design I've ever seen) and getting Lazarus installed there almost drove me made (in the end I had to install 10 ! packages), but it's now all set up and I'll soon start getting it to compile there

good progression.
    are there any intention to make it open source ?
    the game really has alot of cool things , like the GUI which is amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Willems View Post
    Actually I hate the Ubuntu user interface (worst UI design I've ever seen)
    That's why I always recommend Mint - it is based on Ubanto, so you get all the hardware drivers and other goodies, but the user experience and customization is much better.

The project itself looks absolutely kick-ass. I am definitely going to check this out once a Linux version comes out.

That's why I always recommend Mint
    even with xfce its a little bit slow , i switched to debian with gnome 2 , it seems much better than tons of distros i've installed

Well well well, after a complete weekend of getting Lazarus up and running in my Ubuntu VM and getting the code linux-compatible, I just compiled the first native linux version of "Phase 2" :

Yes, there are visual glitches, missing texts and other stuff that's not display like it should (ignore the FPS, it's MESA OpenGL in a VM), but that's nothing I can't fix. So a linux version is finally going to happen and I hope it'll get played as much as the windows one.

That is awesome Sascha, nice one!
    Lazarus rocks!