Thread: Projekt Weltherrscher - "Phase 2"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nice idea, thouth I don't think this would benefit the game at all. Line wrapping is done at loading time, and displaying text is already extremly fast as it's only a single glCallLists for a whole line or block of text. The only way of improving performance I can think of would be to put a whole memo's text into e.g. an FBO, though that performance boost could get eaten by overheads to to texture updates. There is more optimization potential elsewhere, and I've been optimizing the game to move the limit away from the CPU towards the GPU over the last years

But well, it's a turn based game anyway, and with more than 100 fps on my pretty old system in fullscreen with 4xAA is sufficent for me.

That was just an idea I got when playing one game a few months ago. While that game didn't use word compression for storing thext it was actually using word compression for encoding some text for certain ingame puzle. So to solve the puzle you had to conect proper words with their indexes.
    As for optimizing Memo like component that I have designed for my Silver GUI library I render the whole text once to some RenderTexture and then just reuse that texture for further rendering of the Memo controll. This even comes in handy if memos render texture exceeds the size of the memo itself (more text that it can fint inside the memo) since I can only do partial rendering of this texture to represent memo controll.